A Little Myrtle Beach History:
What is in a Name?
I have lived in Myrtle Beach for over 20 years and I never knew that our area had previous names. The first was Chicora and was named by the areas Native Americans, meaning “the land”. When white settlers discovered the area, it became known as New Town. Later in history, Myrtle Beach became the official name, after the wax myrtle trees that grew in the area. Myrtle Beach is also called the Grand Strand and got that name in 1945 by a local newspaper columnist. The Grand Strand is a 60-mile stretch of beach between Georgetown and Little River.
Photo Credit: Teri Halterman
Remember, if you would like a family beach portrait on your next visit to our beautiful city, give Myrtle Beach Photography a call at 843-236-5403
or link to our Family Beach Portrait Page
LARGE FAMILY BEACH PORTRAIT SESSION SPECIAL
Summer 2016, No Additional Charge for large families. This summer, whether your family is 9 or 19 people, the session price is the same. Click Link for more info. Give us a call today at 843-236-5403 or Email or Family Beach Portrait Page
Carolina Country Music Festival is in town June 9th – 12th. Myrtle Beach is going to be buzzing for sure with country music legends like Florida Georgia Line, Keith Urban and Tim McGraw. Give us a call to set up your family beach portrait while you are here enjoying the festival. Call our studio at 843-236-5403 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Get Tickets: Carolina Country Music Festival Tickets
Country Music Festival Line Up
Remember to make time to have your family portraits done on the beach. Call 843-236-5403 or email@example.com
For a free 8×10 with package purchase mention code below
1. The Move Shag: It was the Summer of 1963. Carson (Pheobe Cates) is getting married to her boyfriend so her friends Melaina (Bridget Fonda), Pudge (Annabeth Gish) and Luanne (Paige Hannah) take her to Myrtle Beach for one last irresponsible weekend. Filming Locations were Myrtle Beach, Florence and Georgetown.
2. The Shag: a popular dance, reportedly born on OD (Ocean Drive) originated during the jitterbug-era of the 1940s.
3. Sports Illustrated Magazine: A popular sports magazine that was started in 1953 our own Pine Lakes Golf Club.
4. Alabama: Famous Country Music band that went on to be world-famous. These good ole boys started out playing for tips at Myrtle Beach’s famous Bowery.
5. Vanna White- Wheel of Fortune sweetheart was born in Conway, South Carolina, not North Myrtle Beach as stated on the site. Her mother and stepfather, Herbert White raised her in North Myrtle Beach.
6. Kelly Tilghman- is a Golf Channel on-air personalities, and currently serves in several roles with the network. She works as a host for Golf Central and Live From. Tilghman grew up in North Myrtle Beach, S.C., where her family owned and operated a golf course for 22 years. She earned a scholarship to play on the Duke University women’s golf team
Call 843-236-5403 to take advantage of our Mini Pet Session (October 2015 Only)